Saylor Family Memorial Scholarship
Garry was an outstanding student. He was Sigma Phi Epsilon campus relations chairman, a member of Lancers, Kappa Kappa Psi, and Symphonic Band. He was Marching Band drum major, Major Activities chairman, and ROTC band drum major. Garry graduated in 1958 with a B.S. in Agricultural Soil Conservation. He returned to Colorado State from 1959-1960 to obtain his master's degree.
The Saylor Family Scholarship award is decided by a Chapter vote each year. To qualify, a brother must meet the following requirements.
- Have demonstrated through his personal involvement and his actions a dedication to CSU SigEp Chapter activities
- Have contributed to the fraternal spirit that is represented in the cardinal principles of Sigma Phi Epsilon- Virtue, Diligence, and Brotherly Love.
- Completed 36 CSU semester hours (4th semester or more)
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or greater
From the Spring 1992 Spear tribute to Garry...
Many of you may not have been aware of the time and effort that Garry gave to CSU SigEp in the last few years. He had been President of the Alumni Board since April of 1989 and gave generously of his time and money to the House.
He made countless trips from Holyoke to Ft. Collins and Denver to oversee the activities of the Alumni Board and the Active Chapter. He probably made the round trip from Holyoke to Ft. Collins, a distance of 300 miles, at least twice per month.
But more importantly, what Garry did was to step forward at a time when many of the CSU SigEp Alumni would say that it was a hopeless task to improve the physical condition of the house, to turn the resentment about the change of the drinking laws and the risk management policy and to reestablish CSU SigEp as the best Fraternity on the Colorado State University Campus.
Garry never asked anyone to do more than he himself was willing to do. Quite to the contrary he always did more than he asked anyone else to do, whether it was physical labor, commitment to ideals, contribution of money or taking personal liability risk.
There weren't very many CSU Sig Eps who didn't know or hear of Garry Saylor because he had a lifelong involvement and commitment to CSU SigEp and to Colorado State University.
We all miss you, Garry, and we promise that we will carry on with what you started. That is, we will bring the pride of brotherhood of Sigma Phi Epsilon to everyone at the CSUSigEp Chapter House.
In memory of Garry, we hope to someday have a real library for studying in the Chapter House. It will honor two of Garry's greatest loves - scholarship and Sigma Phi Epsilon.
The Saylor Memorial Scholarship is awarded to one or more current Colorado Gamma brothers at Fall Formal each year.
Saylor Scholarship Recipients
- 2012 : Jeremiah Jensen, Sam Berenbeim
- 2011 : Kevin Briggs '12, Max Lillo '12
- 2010 : Austin O'Neil '13
- 2009 : Bijah Gibson '11, James Stuart '11, Kyle Miller '10, Ryan Garthright '10
- 2008 : Mike Williams '09, Ryan Garthright '10, Joseph Giarratano '11, Eric Sutton '10
- 2007 : Jeremy Polk
- 2006 : Andy Frohardt, Jeremy Polk
- 2005 : Jeremy Polk, Daniel Crass, David Smith
- 2004 : Kevin Selvy
- 2002 : Chad Marturano '03
- 1999 : Brian Westerberg '99, Isaac Greenlee '01, Bryan A. Harmsen '01